Monday, September 19, 2011

Made Over Denim Skirt


I've been wanting to do something with this skirt for a while.  It was so long and I haven't worn it for a while. I thought it might  be cuter if it were short and had some embellishments- something really feminine. I am not a seamstress at all and I used to think I would never sew!  I only sew a few things, but I can at least sew straight lines, so this skirt was do-able for me. :)

All the materials it took were some lace, fabric  (1/4 yard or less!), and thread.
I cut a 4 inch strip and gathered it a little.  Next time I think I'd go 5 inch.  Then I turned the skirt under to make a new hem and sewed the the ruffle on underneath like this:
Then I turned the skirt right side out and sewed on this cute lace.  I sewed two seams to keep it from rolling- on the top and bottom of the lace.
I sewed one long piece of lace from the back slit, around the skirt, and ended again at the back. I folded the lace under and reinforced the ends a bit with some back-stitching. 
I added some scroll lace just above the bottom edge.
I used a left over piece of fabric to make a rosette.

I folded under the raw edges and sewed them on my machine.

I measured and liked the rosette to sit about 4 1/2 to 5 inches from the side seam of the skirt.  I rolled some lace to layer inside the rosette as well.
Then I tacked them on with my machine.  No hand sewing required! :)

Made a little knot as well.  A button would be cute too. And I sewed on one more small strip of scroll lace to the side of the rosette. 


I wore it to church on Sunday, where we had a special occasion for my oldest son, who just turned 12.  It was nice to have a new skirt to wear for under a few dollars! ;)  And I had several people ask me where I bought it.  So, even with my limited sewing skills, I think it turned out okay!


Happy Day!